Village Square, Cornwall-on-Hudson The 3 story brick building was built in 1870 it contained a bank, drug store and post office. The library was located on the 2nd floor and the top floor was a meeting and event hall. It was called Library Hall. It was eventually sold to E.A. Matthiessen and upon his death was renamed Matthiessen Hall. In 1934 it was torn down to put up the present building that still exists today.
The Historical Society museum and the Cornwall Library are closed due to the Coronavirus.
Visit our museum located at the Town Hall on Main Street. Stop by the Cornwall Library and view our display case in the front lobby.
Please note: TheCornwall Public Libraryhas an excellent way to research information about Cornwall, Cornwall-on-Hudson and Mountainville (the community and its people) through the Cornwall Local Newspaper archives, all on microfishe. The archives date back to the late 1800's. Visit them on Hudson Street or call 845-534-8282 and ask for a reference librarian or go to their website at www.cornwallpubliclibrary.org .